Galbitang is a hearty Korean soup made with beef short ribs, Korean radish, onions, starchy noodles and other ingredients. Galbi refers to short ribs and tang is another name for guk meaning ‘soup’.
- 1 kg beef spare ribs (beef short ribs-trimmed and cut )
- 1 smallKorean radish (or daikon), about 2 cups-bite size cube)
- 1 medium size onion
- 12 cups water
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ground black pepper
4-6stalkes of shallots (sliced diagnol사선)-
2 egg yolks
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- Starch noodles (optional)
How to make it
- Rinse the beef short ribs in cold water a couple of times to remove any residual blood and bone fragments. Soak in cold water for about 1 hour.
Drain the ribs and blanch in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Strain the ribs. Wash ribs thoroughly and remove any visible fat. Clean the pot, too.
- Put the clean ribs back into the pot and add radish, whole onion, 4 cloves of garic and 12 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat for 1 hour, and then lower the heat to medium and boil for another 1 hour. While soup is boiling, prepare starch noodles.Bring water to a boil put starch noodles and cook until it becomes tender, for about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Discard the onion and put the ribs and radish into a stainless steel bowl.
- Strain the broth through a fine cloth in a strainer. Put the clear broth back into the pot and remove any floating fat with a spoon.
- Put 2 or 3 ribs, bite size radishes and cooked starched noodles to each bowl.Pour soup onto it and garnish with egg geedan and sliced shallots, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve it with rice and other side dishes.