(Garlic beef rolls, or dangun shinhwajeon in Korean, is a style of roll with beef, garlic and kimchi. The food is named after the story of Dangun, the mythical founder of the Korean people. It's a tasty dish and is of particular interest to those who like Korean history.)
Food can play a bridging role in introducing the unique heritage and history of a country.
In this case, the dish is garlic beef rolls, or dangun shinhwajeon in Korean (단군 신화전), one of the 10 selected Korean dishes recommended for the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. The dish can introduce people to both the taste of Korea and to its history.
Yoon Sook-ja of the Institute of Traditional Korean Food said, “One of the main ingredients in garlic beef rolls is garlic. In the myth of Dangun, the founder of the Korean people, garlic was one of the two foods allowed to the bear and the tiger, along with mugwort, when they had to stay in a dark cave for 100 days without any sunlight.”
Yoon also talked about another charm of this dish.
“Kimchi and beef create harmony, as the two go well together. You should appreciate the harmonized taste of well-cooked beef sirloin fried over high heat and well-fermented kimchi and roasted garlic,” she said.
She also recommended the dish by saying that, “Garlic beef rolls are a menu item that comes with a story. It's a must-have dish, especially for non-Korean tourists who are visiting Korea.”
** Recipe for garlic beef rolls
** Ingredients (four servings)
Beef (sirloin) 200g, cooking oil 2 tablespoons (26g)
Marinade for beef: Cheongju refined rice wine 2 tablespoons (30g), pear juice 30g, sesame oil 1 tea spoon (4g), salt 0.25 teaspoons (1g)
Garlic 100g, cooking oil 3 tablespoons (39g)
Kimchi 500g, after removing any excess marinade 260g
Marinade for kimchi: Sesame oil 1 tablespoon (13g), crushed sesame 1 tablespoon (6g)
Perilla leaves 6 pieces
Flour 0.5 cups (50g), eggs 2 (120g), cooking oil 2 tablespoons (26g)
Sesame sauce : Vinegar 6 tablespoons (90g), sugar 4.5 tablespoons (54g), minced garlic 1.5 tablespoons (24g), crushed sesame 4 tablespoons (24g), salt 1 tablespoon (12), pineapple juice 22g, sesame oil 1 tablespoon (13g), minced red chili pepper 30g, minced green hot pepper 30g
The main ingredients in garlic beef rolls are thinly sliced beef sirloin, garlic, perilla leaves, flour and various seasonings.
1. Get rid of any excess blood. Remove the fat and stringy parts of the beef. Slice the meat into strips that are 0.1 cm wide. Pound the sliced beef with the handle of a knife. Marinate and let sit for 20 minutes. Coat a pan with cooking oil and pan-fry both the front and back of the meat strips.
2. Wash the whole garlic with water. Slice the cloves into 0.5-cm thick slices and fry them with cooking oil in a pan.
3. Get rid of any excess marinade from the kimchi. Remove the thick stem of the cabbage and marinate it with sesame oil and sesame salt.
4. Rinse the perilla leaves with water.
5. Spread out a kimchi leaf. Place one or two perilla leaves on top, some pan-fried beef and the pan-fried garlic. Roll it all together. Coat the roll with flour and the egg wash. Pan-fry it again in a pan coated with cooking oil. Slice into 1.5-cm in diameter pieces.
6. Serve with sesame sauce.
Unfold the well-fermented kimchi leaf and place some perilla leaves, the pan-fried beef and the garlic on top. Roll it all together.
Coat the roll with flour and the egg wash. Pan-fry it again in a pan coated with cooking oil.